The foundation of a successful business is knowledge. What resources are available for specialty coffee businesses to enable better decision making and strategy? Heather Ward explores several different specialty coffee research studies, how they connect with each other, and how they can inform the business manager to increase chances of success.
Presenter: Heather Ward, Market Research Manager, Specialty Coffee Association
Heather is SCA’s market research manager and is responsible for providing leadership and vision in gathering, analyzing, and reporting coffee-related industry research. Before moving into the coffee industry, she completed her MBA at Point Loma Nazarene University in San Diego, CA with studies focusing on the economics of coffee. She is passionate about coffee, market analysis, and helping the coffee community better understand the landscape of the industry.
Specialty Coffee Consumer Studies and Articles Cited
- SCA Consumer Research Hub: www.sca.coffee/consumerresearch
- Specialty Coffee Shops: Market Size in the U.S.: http://www.scanews.coffee/2016/12/06/specialty-coffee-shops-market-size-in-the-u-s/
- SCA Specialty Coffee Retail Sentiment Index: https://store.sca.coffee/search?q=report+sentiment
- SCA Roaster/Retailer Financial Benchmarking Study: http://www.scanews.coffee/2017/08/09/sca-releases-access-results-specialty-coffee-roasterretailer-benchmarking-study/
- National Coffee Association’s Economic Impact Study: http://www.ncausa.org/Industry-Resources/Economic-Impact
- Coffee Market Retails Value Report – U.S. Market Overview: https://store.sca.coffee/products/coffee-market-retail-value-report-2016?variant=421010571292
This talk was presented live at the 2017 Global Specialty Coffee Expo, the largest annual gathering of specialty coffee professionals.
The SCA Lectures podcast series is brought to you by Olam Specialty Coffee, connecting roasters to the finest specialty green coffees. Learn more about Olam at www.olamspecialtycoffee.com.